This post originally appeared on What’s Cooking with Ruthie where I was a monthly contributor.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister NANCY today and to my MOM tomorrow!
Sorry about not posting on Thursday but I was having some technical difficulties with my website. I think I’ve got the problem fixed and posts will be back to normal.
I posted a pic of these Almond Cheesecake Swirled Brownies on my Instagram feed and I couldn’t wait to share them with you. The texture was perfect and they tasted amazing.
This past Easter weekend was a long weekend for us. We had Friday and Monday off and the weather here was Spring-like that we turned off the heat and opened all the windows. Having the fresh air blow in felt like winter might actually be gone for good! We still have some snow piles that are lingering but I’m sure in the next few days they’ll all be gone!
With the weather being so warm my husband and I had a chance to go for a nice 7.5 km walk together, just the two of us. My sister watched the kiddies while we got some exercise and time to catch up. We walked down country roads that were nice and quiet and farms that were coming alive from the winter. It was refreshing!
- For the Brownie batter:
- ½ cup salted butter
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 and ¼ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the Cheesecake batter:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅛ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Line an 8X8 glass baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat chocolate and butter together until both are melted and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Once chocolate is cooled add sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and salt and stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and almond extract. Mix until light and creamy.
- Using a large spoon, drop cream cheese mixture in dollops on top of the brownie batter. Using a wooden skewer, mix cream cheese mixture into brownie mixture, making swirling motions to add a design.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out almost clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction