It’s cherry season where I live and that means we’ve been stuffing our faces with fresh cherries!
I’ve never made an upside-down cake before so when I had two bags of cherries in my fridge I set out to make this Cherry Upside-down Cake. I’m sure glad I did because it was A-MAZ-ING!
The funny thing about this cake is that I actually forgot to put in the egg whites, which the original recipe called for, but I think this cake turned out perfectly without them. If you like a more of a dense, moist cake then this is probably the way it should be made. If you want more of a light, airy cake then you might want to add in the egg whites as per the original recipe.
The juices from the cherries mixed with the butter and brown sugar mixture seeped down into the cake to make it extra moist and added the perfect amount of sweetness. Adding Gay Lea’s Real Whipped Cream on top makes this dessert one you’ll have a hard time sharing. I like a big dollop of whipped cream with each bite….but that’s just me, you can do whatever you like!
If you want some more inspiration for your Gay Lea Whipped Cream, how about making this Strawberry Shortcake or these Mojito Shortbread Trifles. It really doesn’t matter what dessert you add whipped cream to it will be pretty darn good. That’s just what whipped cream does to desserts…..it makes them even better!
Now on to those two giveaways!
The first giveaway is for a Perfect Patio Entertaining Kit valued at $250! The kit will contain BBQ Utensils, Cornhole Game, 4 Plates, 4 Side Plates, Big Bowl, Tray, Place Mats, and a Picnic Basket! You must be 18 years of age or older and be a resident of Canada (excluding Quebec). You can enter through multiple blogs that are participating but only one winner will be chosen. Contest closes July 27th, 2014. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The second giveaway is for 12 free product coupons from Gay Lea Foods. The coupons will expire October 2014 so make sure you use them up before then. You must be 18 years of age or older and be a resident of Canada (excluding Quebec). You can enter through multiple blogs that are participating but only one winner from each blog (for a total of 12 winners) will be chosen. You can only win once. Contest closes July 27th, 2014. Good luck!
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ brown sugar
- 25 or so fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line the bottom of a 10" round cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar, stirring constantly, until brown sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place halved cherries, face down, over the brown sugar mixtures until it completely covered. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add sugar and butter and mix until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time until mixed well. Add in vanilla and almond extract.
- Mix in the dry ingredients alternating with the milk until everything is smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly over cherries and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven a let cake sit on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife along the edge of the cake pan to loosen the cake. Place platter on top of pan and invert onto platter. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow all the juices to seep into the cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of Gay Lea's Whipped Cream on top!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.com
“Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”