Happy New Year!
I’m finally back after having two weeks off from my full-time job and from my blog. It was a busy two weeks that I don’t know how I would have fit in blogging anyway. I did try to keep up with following everyone else’s blog through Bloglovin’ so that kept me in the loop somewhat!
I tried so many great desserts over the holidays but now I’m back my regular routine and hoping these few extra pounds that found my waistline will take a hike real soon! It was so worth it though!
To make ourselves feel better about going back to school/work, my son and I decided to do some baking. I wanted to try out my new Wilton Donut pans I got for Christmas and I wanted something with cinnamon in it. That’s when I found this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Donuts. Can you ever go wrong with donuts….or cinnamon?! I don’t think so!
These donuts smelled so good while they were baking and the recipe made the perfect amount (which was perfect because I still have so much Christmas baking in my freezer). My boys couldn’t wait to try them and even ate them without the added frosting. I think they knew they would probably get another one with the frosting later! Good thinkin’, boys!
- For the donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. white sugar
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt, optional
- 6 tbsp buttermilk (I didn't have any buttermilk on hand so I used 5½ tbsp. of milk and ½ tsp. vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- For the frosting:
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ - ¾ tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a mixer put in all dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add buttermilk (or milk/vinegar mixture), egg, vanilla, and butter and mix until batter-like consistency.
- Using a piping bag or Ziplock bag with a whole cut in the corner, pipe batter into donut pan. I just poured from the bowl with my spatula and that worked too!
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched.
- Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and transfer to an airtight container until you're ready to frost.
- For the frosting, whisk together icing sugar, cinnamon, and milk in a small bowl and pour over donuts.
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks